Your journey towards your wedding day includes shopping for wedding flowers for both your wedding bouquet and wedding venues. Most importantly you need to decide on the type of flowers to be used in the making of your wedding bouquet. If you already know what flowers to buy, you are halfway home. But for those of you who do not know what to get or cannot decide, this can be quite challenging. On top of that you also need to decide whether to have your bouquet made with either real or artificial flowers.
Now when people hear the word “artificial”, the first thing that comes to mind are flowers that look plastic and not “real”. Well, believe it or not, they do look like the real thing. Artificial flowers comes in many forms. This includes silk, paper/cloth, plastic, porcelain, clay and soap. The most popular, especially for weddings, is silk.
Here are some things to consider when choosing artificial flowers:
- Silk flowers’ cost is about half that of real flowers. So if you are on a tight budget, you may want to consider silk. If you go with a florist, they usually carry high quality silk flowers so the cost may equal that of real flowers. Check with them to see if they carry lower cost silk flowers. If you are creative, you can even put your silk bouquet together yourself or have a creative friend do it for you. You can purchase them either at your local florist or handicraft/gift store. If purchasing from the handicraft/gift store, pay a bit more for the better quality silk flowers.
- Silk flowers does not require too much care compared to that of real flowers. For real flowers, your florist will probably be putting your bouquet and flower arrangements a few days before your wedding and then delivered on the wedding day. The real flowers need to be kept watered or else they will wilt and dry out. This is especially true for your wedding bouquet if you will be holding it throughout the day. Silk bouquets, on the other hand, can be put together weeks/months in advance of your wedding. So it’s one less thing to worry about on your wedding day. The only care that is needed is to keep water away from the silk bouquet as it will leave water spots/stains on them.
- You can keep your silk bouquet after your wedding and display it in a cabinet or on a table next to your wedding pictures. You can even hand it down to your daughter for her wedding. With real flowers, you will need to preserve them and you cannot really touch them or they will fall apart.
- Some people may be allergic to real flowers and this is where silk flowers can come into play.
- If you are planning to get married in a season where your flowers are not available, you can go with silk flowers.
- Silk flowers can come in many different colors so they can match your overall wedding theme. However don’t go overboard with psychedelic colors as they will look fake. Stay within the traditional wedding color(red, purple, pink, white, yellow).
- As silk flowers won’t smell like real flowers, you can buy flower-scented perfumes and spray them on the silk flowers.